Del cerro dating
In 1549, the architect Alonso de Covarrubias began building the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de La Magdalena, which has since become the Cathedral of the Diocese of Getafe.
The church was built on the foundation of the old hermitage, and in 1610 a new hermitage was built on the Cerro de los Ángeles.
Getafe's proximity to Madrid fostered industrial development during the 20th and 21st centuries.
The city's industrialisation led to an increase in population, reaching 170,115 in 2011.
In that same century, the primitive hermitage of La Magdalena was built, only to be destroyed several centuries later.
In 1492, famine and disease devastated Getafe, prompting the construction of the Hospitalillo de San José in 1529.
Various stone tools, pots, and bracelets from this period have been excavated from the banks of the Manzanares River.
The history of Getafe can be split into three clearly defined eras.
In the first era, which lasted from Prehistory until 1326, there existed distinct villages in the area, though Getafe itself did not exist as a municipality.
King Alfonso XIII inaugurated the first monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus on the Cerro de los Ángeles on . Industrialization also prompted a rapid boom in population, starting in the 1950s.
In 1956, John Deere established a factory in Getafe, and a year later, Siemens AG followed suit.